Paying your fees

You are charged fees to register and maintain your SSSC registration.

The fee amount varies depending on the part of the Register. Workers are registered according to the role they perform.

Visit the fees section of the website for more information.

Application fee

You will pay a fee on applying for registration on any part of the Register. Please note that this fee is non returnable, if for any reason your application is refused or rejected.

Annual fee

Once you are registered, you will pay an annual fee to keep your name on the Register. This fee will be due on the anniversary of your registration. This date can be found on your registration certificate.

Failure to pay your annual fee may result in your registration being removed. You would then have to re-apply to register.

Renewal fee

There is a fee for renewing your SSSC registration. Your registration period lasts for a fixed period from your date of registration.  Before your registration period expires, you will be invited to renew your registration. If you don’t pay your renewal fee and complete and return your renewal form your registration will be removed. You would then have to re-apply for registration. Social work students are not required to renew their registration and do not have to pay this fee.

If you have any queries about registration fees please contact us on 01382 207101 or: 

Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) fee

When you are applying for SSSC registration employers are asked to confirm they have either a Disclosure Scotland or a PVG scheme record check for the post you are seeking registration for. Employers need to provide the dates and unique reference numbers of the Disclosure or PVG scheme record number to us. If your employer is unable to provide this information you will have to become a member of the PVG scheme and will be required to pay a £59 application fee.

PVG fee for social work students

When you first apply to register you must undertake a PVG scheme check. We pay the PVG fee for social work students.

Claiming back tax on your registration fees

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) allow you to claim tax relief on professional fees which you have paid on order to carry out a job. 

That means that if you’re a UK taxpayer and you’ve used your own money to pay your registration fee you can claim 20% of your registration fee. 

Please note you must have paid tax in the year you paid your fee. How much you can claim depends on the rate you pay tax. If your employer has paid your registration fee you can’t claim tax relief. 

The table below shows the tax relief you can claim on your registration fee if you pay tax at a rate of 20%.

Part of the Register

Registration fee

Tax relief (standard 20% rate)

Social work student



Support worker

Includes workers in a housing support service and care at home service.






Manager/social worker



How do I claim tax relief?

There are four different ways of claiming tax on your registration fees through HMRC.

  • You can telephone HMRC and ask for relief on your fees.
  • You can apply online to HMRC.
  • You can claim tax relief using form P87: Tax relief for expense of employment.
  • If you complete a self-assessment tax return, you can claim tax relief on the employment page of the return.

Can the SSSC deduct tax from my registration fee before I pay it?

No we cannot directly deduct tax from your SSSC registration fees. You must go through HMRC for this tax relief.

How will I get my tax relief?

HMRC will usually make any adjustments through your tax code for the current year.

How far back can I claim for?

You usually have a maximum of four years to backdate a claim.

Please contact HMRC if you have any other questions.